What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Friday, September 23, 2005
  Come as you aren't
Who here likes Halloween and/or just getting dressed up in silly costumes for the heckuvit?

Me! Me! Me! Me!

I love getting dressed up for Halloween. Sadly, where I live now doesn’t DO Halloween, so I’ll have to think of somewhere else to go. Maybe that pirate bar in Asheville will be having a costume party. I expect everyone would be dressed up as pirates. ;-)

We are planning at least one trip to the North Carolina Renaissance Faire, probably for their last weekend on November 13th or thereabouts. We’ve been once to NC Faire, a couple of years ago. It was ok, but honestly, not as much fun as Ontario Faire. I really missed the Pub Sing! NC Faire doesn’t even have a tavern like they did at Ontario (now since closed up shop, expenses ran too high). By not having a sit down tavern, you can’t really have the Pub Sing along, and without the Pub Sing, I would just look like a crazy idiot wandering around drunk singing pirate shanties :-D Plus, the Tartan Terrors don’t come to NC. :-( I really must email them and ask them to add North Carolina to their tour, I miss them. *sigh*

BUT! North Carolina Faire has what they call The Greenman. I call him Treebeard. It’s this person in a tree costume that moves really really slow, like an Ent. I have no idea how tall it is, but when we saw it a couple of years ago, I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. I couldn’t believe there was an actual real Ent wandering around the fair! How cool is that!? It’s a very convincing costume, and a bit startling when you first see it move.

And yes, I used to go regularly to Ontario Faire in full wench costume. It makes the experience all that much more memorable and fun. I will definitely be forcing James into his pirate garb when we go this year! He refused last time because we were going with friends who didn’t have any garb, and he didn’t want to embarrass them. :rolleyes:

I was just surfing around the internet and came across a costume site, and was wondering what I could dress up as for Halloween that is completely opposite of what I am. A complete “come as you aren’t” turn around. The only thing that I found there that would be remotely opposite was a Southern Belle dress, complete with ruffles, crinolines, and floppy hat. Or perhaps a nun. Or the Virgin Mary. What do you think?

I just really miss Halloween, and I wish I could get all dressed up and sit here and wait for children to knock on the door so that I could scare the bejeebers out of them. Which is probably why they don’t do Halloween in this neighbourhood, the kids scare too easily! LOL! *snarf*
 
Comments:
Halloween really does seem to be a North American phenomenon, tho it is starting to become popular in the UK and Europe I think somehow.

Its a lot of fun, and if you get the chance, go to a costume party at a friend's house or to a bar, and get dressed up and be entirely silly for a day. Its the only day of the year its ok to take candy from strangers. Although, sometimes that has been a problem too!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]