What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
  We don't have much, but we'll give what we can
As I mentioned previously, I have decided this month to donate 10% of my Watkins proceeds to Hurricane Katrina relief funds. A couple of weeks ago when a local company was taking food donations, I donated water, Gatorade and canned goods. Well today, another trucking company is taking donations of clothing and will be driving it down south on Friday. I stopped by there this morning with 4 bags of our clothes that we’ve grown out of (3 were James’), and ended up staying for about 3 hours to help them sort thru the several dozen bags and boxes that hadn’t been properly sorted. The Red Cross won’t take clothing unless it is properly sorted apparently. And Hardee’s (hamburger chain) donated lunch to those of us who just happened to be there volunteering for the day. One of the guys called them up and they said “sure, how many do ya need?” Cool eh?

The organizer of the clothing drive said she will be having a BBQ for the volunteers probably tomorrow after the truck is loaded up. I left my business card and a couple of catalogues so she could call me to let me know where and when. I had mentioned my 10% donation pledge to her already while we were eating lunch, and said I’d leave a catalogue or 2 so she could check it out.

And I wasn’t wrong about the shut off notices the other day. This morning in the middle of trying to surf somewhere, my cable connection went out. So I checked the pile of mail, there was no shut off notice from the cable company, but there was one from the Power Company. Already 8 days past the date they said they’d shut us off. Which is why I never pay attention to their shut off notices, they send them whether we pay or not, and then never follow thru with their threats ;-) The cable company however does not send notices of any kind, they just shut ya down. Big meanies. I paid them, but had to dig into the savings account to do it.

I’ve been looking for a job, but there’s not much here in town, and at minimum wage (which is about all that’s available even in surrounding towns) I can’t afford to pay the gas to put in the car to get to a job. I sent an application to the city the other day; they’re looking for an admin assistant. I probably won’t hear back from them. I never did on the 3 other applications I sent them earlier in the year. I’m probably over qualified. Or they’re worried I don’t speak English :-p

I suppose I could go wash dishes somewhere.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]