What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
  Wha's happenin?
Not a whole heckuva lot really.

As you know, I moved here last fall from the Toronto area of Ontario, Canada. Toronto is Canada’s largest city, and has been touted as one of the world’s only “truely” multicultural cities. I’ve lived in the Greek neighbourhood, little India, noshed in China-Town, wandered drunkenly along Queen Street West with the crazy freaky Goths, and I was born in Scarborough. I grew up near Stouffville, about 45 minutes north of the city, moving back and forth when either one started to annoy me enough that I needed a break. Even in Stouffville, I had 3 pubs within walking distance of my apartment.

One of the first things I noticed after moving to North Carolina? The almost complete LACK of diversity. The only Asians around town own the Chinese or Japanese restaurants. The Greek restaurant has been so “Americanized” there’s no freakin’ garlic in the tziki sauce, and the Thai restaurant in Hickory has no ginger! The population of this “city” is about 17,000. The racial makeup of the city is 75.67% White, 12.76% African American, 0.55% Native American, 1.99% Asian, 0.81% Pacific Islander, 6.64% from other races, and 1.58% from two or more races. 11.16% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. (source, Wikipedia/US census). Comparitively, Toronto’s population population is 2,518,772 and demographically White: 53.3%, Chinese/Asian: 14.2%, Indian/South Asian: 10.3%, African/Black: 9.8%, Hispanic/Latin American: 2.5%, Mixed: 2.1%, Other Race: 7.8%. And, Toronto has 79 ethnic publications. I don’t think there are any here in Morganton. Tho there is a Spanish page in the local newspaper.

Why should this bother me? Well for one, when I first moved here and some of the neighbours came to introduce themselves, they all mentioned how happy they were that we bought the house and “not some stinkin Mexican”. Then they go on to disparage immigrants in general, but of course I don’t count, because I’m Canadian and close enough to being American anyway :-p Ugh! Plus, it makes things really boring! Whenever I think of going out for foreign food, there’s no where to go because its all been dummed down for the sensitive local palet. I want some souvlaki dammit!

I get rather tired of hearing racial slurs, disparaging of immigrants, people tossing around the word “nigger” all to freely, at the very least a helluva lot more than I’m used to, and I’m tired of feeling uncomfortable around quite literally Everyone! I really don’t fit in here, and I really wouldn’t be here at all if Canadian Immigration had not banned my James from entering Canada. They suck!

We’re about an hour away from just about anything interesting to do. Here in town I guess there are a couple of “sit down” family restaurants, 100 bazillion fast food joints, and apparently one bar that I’ve been warned not to go to. There are no “clubs” like I’m used to back up in Toronto, and even if there was, there is no public transportation to get there if we wanted to have a few drinks. Apparently there are clubs in Charlotte and Asheville and Winston-Salem that have “Goth Night”, but there are no Goth clubs anywhere in the state. Although, there is a new bar in Asheville that we have to check out soon called Joli Rouge. It’s a pirate bar, and was in the paper as a “member only”. I’m not sure exactly what that means. Can’t be all bad if its run by pirates tho ;-) Too bad its so far away.

We’re considering moving elsewhere, but for now we’re kinda stuck here, as James doesn’t want to move while his mother is so ill. She’s been having chemo therapy for a few months now, and doesn’t look good. Not to mention of course, James would need to find a job first before we could consider moving somewhere else. Me, I can take my job anywhere. Which is part of the reason I started this home based biz, other than there are no jobs here in town except retail or fast food.

Oh, and get this! I saw a commercial on TV for that farmer’s market the other day. It’s a PSA sort of from the mayor. He says something like “a little bit of the Big City, right here in Morganton”. Now I ask you, how is having a Farmer’s Market anything like being in a Big City? Huh? He must be on crack.

Tonight I’m goin up to Marion to the book store for a Paranormal Investigation thingy. She does them once a month, and the speaker is a new Watkins customer of mine, so I figured I’d go check it out. At the very least, it’s a night out. I hope the gas prices have gone down a bit.

*sigh* catch ya later!
 
Comments:
Hey Rebecca, I feel your pain. I'm actually typing this from England - it was a much needed reprieve from the wild outback of North Carolina.

The place will start to feel like "home" in due time, but I guarantee you'll make at least a few trips home. We have done the haul through West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York more times than I can count on two hands.

Stouffville. Heh. I grew up in Uxbridge, but used to play pool in Stouffville with my ex all the time.
 
OMG! That's so weird! The pool hall isn't there anymore tho sadly. I think its an antique shop now. And we almost moved to Uxbridge once when I was in highschool.

Merry old England. I have friends and family there. Only been once myself, would like to go back whenever we get some "disposable" income. Whatever that is!

Good to "meet" you!
 
There are some places here in Maine that are exactly like that. And what makes it worse is that a lot of the wealth is centered in those locations too. The only difference is, they aren't so open in their discrimination. Typical New Englanders are tight-lipped but you can always see the accusation and hate in their eyes.

I love this place, I love living on the water, but I really tire of the intolerance.

And being married to a Brit like I am, and having immigrated there after we got married, your mentioning of "Merry ole England" makes me a tad homesick. Although it is NOT a great place to be if you are American. *sigh*.....sad, we aren't real well liked over there right now.

But we'll probably make another trip back this summer to take peanut over and introduce her to her English Aunties and Uncles. Yeah, that outta be a fun plane ride. NOT!

*hugs* Reba...hang in there.
 
Have the New Englanders taken the Old Englanders "stiff upper lip" a bit too far perhaps? ;-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]