What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Monday, October 31, 2005
  Dining with the ancestors, and other musings.
Blessed Samhain to all! And what will you be serving your ancestors tonight? I’m having pork chops, turnips, potatoes and corn muffins, and beer of course! I still have to carve my pumpkin, but I’ve got a couple of hours yet til dark…good grief, I need to change that clock it keeps messing with my head!

Doncha hate that? Yesterday morning I showed up at work an hour early because we forgot to change the clocks back :-p So I had nothing to do but go shopping :-o Yesterday was our 4th wedding anniversary, so I got James’ gift and some new boots for myself. They’re really cool boots, brown suede and VERY comfy! I can even wear them with my Ren costume if its cold when we go on the 13th. Its rather dangerous to my bank balance, working at a studio stuck in the back of a K-Mart ya know!

This morning I had to go to the bank and make a couple of deposits. James and I both get paid on the same day, and he rarely has time to get to the bank himself, and making deposits in the machines is very slow to update our balance! Banking in the US is years behind Canada, its rather annoying really. Anyhow, I digress….I was standing in line for the teller, and for lack of anything else to do, I was watching their security monitor. It flashes from each camera for a second or two, and they have about a dozen cameras. Then I noticed something rather amusing. Someone had put a smiley face sticker on the lense of one the outdoor cameras, facing the drive-thru! That was funny I tell ya! *snarf*

I got my Watkins Vanilla Classic Recipes book the other day, and just finished making the granola bars. I exchanged almonds and soy beans for the fruit and raisins tho, I’ll let you know how they turn out when they cool off and I can try them.

I think I will get dressed up tonight after I eat my dinner and take some over to James at work. I think the sheer black blouse, with the Chinese red corset and long black skirt. If I can get the corset done up without assistance. If I manage it, I’ll take my new digital cam with me and have James take a pic. Any other time, Halloween should be come as you aren’t, but since I moved here, its about the only day I can be myself! ;-)

Speaking of my new digital camera, I got it last week for a steal! I have the Staples Business Rewards card, and it gives you points for all purchases. Staples rewards work a little different than other rewards programs in that you periodically receive a Staples check/cheque good as cash for any purchase in the store. So a couple of weeks ago I got a $12 rewards check, then there was a $20 coupon for digital cameras in the newspaper, and then the HP 5.2 mp camera went on sale for $149. I managed to get the camera, a FREE 128mb memory card, a bottle of white out and 5 photocopies all for less than the SALE price of the camera! Cool eh? It really does pay to have those rewards memberships. I needed a new camera, my other one crapped out at the beginning of the month, and I would have paid the $149 for it gladly, but happily I paid even less! J

I started training on the camera at work this week. I took a couple of sittings, and did fairly well. That was on Thursday or Friday I think, Saturday and Sunday were just too freakin busy for me to train any more. Saturday was absolutely insane! We did 19 sits, luckily 6 of them either re-scheduled or didn’t show up, because we would have been there til about 10:00 I’m sure of it! Our appointments after lunch all showed up late, and really messed up our evening. And of course, half of them were large groups, which is not necessarily difficult to photograph, but difficult to figure out how many of each photo to order for whom! But we survived and made it thru. Next week, starting the 7th, we’ll be open 6 days a week, so I’ll have lots of overtime, which will be nice for the pay check, but I’ll be totally exhausted! Thankfully its only til Christmas Eve, then we’ll be back to 5 days a week.

I may try to get brave and go get a haircut tomorrow. I’m still debating that one. Its very expensive to fly home to Toronto every time I get annoyed with my hair, so I’ll have to suck it up and be brave I guess. I just get really nervous thinking I’ll end up with poofy Big American Hair er summat…GAH!

I’m hungry, I should have tea and then a bath. I think I will have to carve the pumpkin while I have my tea…where did the day go?

Happy Halloween!
 
Comments:
Hi Reba!! Happy 4th Anniversary!! Four years already?!!! WOW!!! Tempus fugit!

I hear you on the "big American hair" thing...lol!!! I'll never forget my first experience here in the U.S. My daughter and I both walked out with giant hair. YUCK! I've since found a better hair stylist - but still nowhere as good as the one I left behind. :o(

And don't even get me started on the banking system here....grrrrr! Ok....now I'm done bytchin! :o)

Marlene
 
hey girl, I will join your bytching!!

I honestly don't know what it is with the banking system here. Why can't they go paperless like at home? Its so much easier and quicker to just get to the teller and swiper your card!

And for some reason here, our bank doesn't update for a couple days, to sometimes several days on transactions! My bank back home would update immediately, even on Sundays! I could just log on to the website and check the transactions and they'd all be there, even if I'd just been to a machine a few minutes before!

And writing cheques for everything here is weird! Tho I'm getting used to it. I really do need to figure out how to get stuff paid on-line tho, I hate standing in line at the post office to mail things or at the city office to pay our utility bills. bleah....

Its after 1pm and I haven't even got dressed yet, let alone gathered the courage to go see about getting my hair cut. I wonder if the salons would mind if I just sit and watch for a while to see what they do? *snarf*
 
Hi! Hope the hair cut worked out ok! I have to get mine sheared...some tweeny bopper said "I like your wig!" to me last night when I was handing out candy! Thanks for the prezzies for your nephew, and happy anniversary while we're on the subject! Ditto from mum...tried to call you last night or the night before, got a busy sig. Maybe chat this wkend, you call me!
TTFN
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]