What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Tuesday, October 11, 2005
  One Year Ago Today
Wow, one year.

I arrived in North Carolina October 11, 2004. One year ago today. Doesn’t seem that long ago. And yet it seems longer.

Since I arrived, we have acquired an extra dog. We only had George back then, now we’ve got Bruno too. George barely weighed 100 pounds now she’s about 130. Add Bruno’s 150+ pounds, and its like we’ve got 10 dogs some days! Especially with the mud after that 3 days of rain last week. I’ll post pics when I get the film developed, my digi cam crapped out :-p

We’re still waiting on my Green Card interview appointment. That will probably be sometime in the summer or fall next year I figure. Charlotte USCIS office is taking about 13 months from time of application to interview. We sent my application in early this year, but then they sent us the dreaded RFE (request for further evidence). They had lost my medical file, and wanted me to go for another exam. Pfffffffffft, no way was I going to pay the $400 or so it would have cost for that, so we had Senator Dole’s office take care of that for us. USCIS found my file after a few calls from them! Luckily my K3 visa and EAD is valid 2 years, so I probably won’t need to pay for an extension, I should have my Green Card before it expires. Hopefully!

I have had no problem at all with the usual things spousal immigrants seem to have problems with after arrival. We had no problem getting me added to James’ bank accounts as joint, no problem getting a driver’s license, or Social Security Number, or car insurance. Quite a lot of other K immigrants I know of had a heckuva time with all that. But then they didn’t seem to have much difficulty with immigration, whereas James and I have been at this crap since August of 2001! We started out with Canadian Immigration, that didn’t work out very well, so then we went with US immigration. Which took twice as long as it should have, because we got screwed around by 2 separate lawyers! Never hire a lawyer to do spousal immigration, there’s no need for it! Cheaper and less headache to just do it yourself, trust me! UGH!

Got my Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with little difficulty, and even managed to find a job. Which I later quit after just 3 months because it sucked. Big time! Now I’ve got another job that I’ll be starting tomorrow, plus my part time Watkins business. Which is going fairly well, I just got home from a rather successful Good Tastings party :-) Plus I have 4 candidates who may sign up as associates.

Yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving, so we went out for dinner to Olive Garden with Alie and Steve. Another Can/Am couple who live not quite an hour away. We met half way in Hickory. We found them thru the immigration discussion forum I used to post at, which I gave up on a few months ago because the climate there got distasteful. There are a few other North Carolina couples on that message board, but Alie & Steve and Cara & Greg are the only ones I’ve met. Cara is from the same area back home in Canada. Alie is from Manitoba.

OH! James has had a job offer. If he accepts it we’d have to move, and I’d have to quit the job I just got. Which might not be bad really; the pay he’s being offered is for nearly twice what he’s getting now. The only thing holding us back is where the job is. Its in New Orleans! Yep, New Orleans! Hot, humid, swampy, flooded Katrina ruined, debauched New Orleans. I don’t mind the debauchery so much, it’s the humidity and swampy flood I’m not too keen on. But it would be more money, and fewer hours. Decisions decisions…we’re still thinking on that one. There would certainly be more to do there, and maybe more Pagan friendly. It’s a tough one.

Well, I’ve got a chocolate induced headache. Today I made chocolate truffles and cleaned all the bowls myself. Without having had anything else to eat before that! I should know better, but man, were they yummy!

Catch ya later!
 
Comments:
As always, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on hitting your one year mark!

I am still amazed that when I think back to this time last year, we were sitting in the NVC "parking lot" going through that entire process. Time flies, that's for sure.

Sounds like you and James have a lot to think about - moving wise. I'll light a candle for you both...for clarity and ease of mind.

Good luck today on your first day at the new job! Can't wait to hear about it.

*hugs*

Auds
 
Good luck with your new job, Reba. Congrats on the one year in the U.S. marker, too!! Can't believe it's been that long. I still remember when you were "warming the seat" for me. :o)
Marlene
 
hey Marlene, good to see you drop in! How are you? :-)

The new job is very hectic, and they're going to throw me to the lions this afternoon. I'm not sure I like this idea :-0

I will probably be posting spradically now, I didn't get home from work til well after 9pm last night, with such a migraine I could barely see, and it looks like most days from now til Christmas will be the same. No idea what my schedule is going to be like yet.

Its nice to see you Marlene :-)
 
Hey Reba....everything's just ducky. :o) I sent you an email to the addy listed here on your blog. Hopefully you received it. Cheers! Marlene
 
I remember the day you left. You're right. Seems like years and just weeks ago.

I have been watching Cinderella tonight. Still humming "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes". Already I can hear you .... Mum, don't sing, please. It's still my favourite.

May all my dreams for you and James come true.
 
Hey there :) Found your blog via the NCblogs button. I am also a Canadian living in the triangle area of NC. Married an American as well. Yes, it is definately a culture shock! Hope you enjoy living here. I've gotten used to it after 7 years :)
 
Hi Erin, good to see a fellow Canuck in NC :-) How do you like the Triangle? Have you made friends and found stuff to keep you occupied?

My new job has me so occupied I don't have time to blog except on my days off, and then I'm so busy getting caught up on stuff around the house, that I forget!

Nice to meet you Erin!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]