What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Monday, November 21, 2005
  Wow, what is that smell?
Remember last week, we had the dogs groomed and they came out smelling like vanilla sugar cookies? Well, its raining today, and of course I had to work, so the dogs were out in the mud all day long. Now they, and my entire house, smell like vanilla sugar cookies that have been rolling in mud and playing in the rain all day! Its really quite strange.

I have an unexpected day off tomorrow. I was supposed to work, but thankfully my co-worker thought it would be unfair for her to have 2 days off, and me have none (other than the holiday, which doesn’t count because it was supposed to be my day off anyway), so I worked today, and she’s working tomorrow. Then we’re both working Wednesday and Friday, 9am to 8pm :-o At least I won’t have time to spend any money at the holiday sales eh? ;-)

I will either spend my day mopping the kitchen floor, it’s a mess! Or running errands catching up on stuff. I’m sure James’ Mom will need a few things picked up for Thanksgiving dinner. We’re going to her house to cook. She’s too ill to do it herself, but won’t come to our house to eat here, so we’re doing the cooking, only at her house. Or rather James was invited to go over to cook, I’m guessing that I’ll be expected to tag along, my name apparently didn’t come up in conversation.

The other day I found a Snoopy and Woodstock Halloween pirates stuffed toys on sale for half price. We like Snoopy, and we like Pirates, so of course I had to get them. Plus I got 2 more Peanuts character Halloween key rings to add to the collection. Now we have Snoopy witch, Snoopy in a pumpkin, Snoopy with a witch hat on, and a pumpkin bowl in his mouth, Charlie Brown as a Pirate and Lucy as a princess. Maybe next year we’ll find something with Linus or maybe Peppermint Patty. They come attached to a pumpkin shaped box of Whitman’s peanut butter cup candies. The candy isn’t all that great really, but the toys are fun J (she says as she unwraps another candy and pops it into her mouth…bleah…really not all that good :-p ).

We went to the Renaissance Faire the other weekend, and finally found James a pair of boots he could live with. They were a bit expensive, but well worth it, if we can just get to the Faire more than just once every 2 years here. And maybe sometime we’ll get up to the Maryland Faire and see all the displaced players from the Ontario Faire. I was sad to hear that it closed up shop, but I’d probably not have been able to get there again anyway, what with James not allowed to enter Canada. Stupid immigration :-p The North Carolina Fair is alright, but really not as much fun as the Ontario Faire. And because the Ontario Faire and Maryland Faire are the same group, I assume Maryland would be just as much fun. But then again, maybe not. I think the fun of the Ontario faire is the outdoor Taverns and the Pub sing, but because here in the US the drinking laws are a bit different for amusement parks and such like, they don’t have the taverns and pub sing, at least not at NC Faire. Nor do they have the Tartan Terrors. I checked their schedule, they come to all the surrounding states, but for some reason, never get here to NC. I really must write to them and ask why!

We went to see the new Harry Potter movie on Saturday night. We caught the 10pm show here in town, and even on the second night, in this little conservative bible belt town, the line up was out the door, and the theatre was packed! Luckily, mostly with adult fans, not screaming wee ones with pointy hats and lightning bolt stickers on their foreheads. I did that once in Toronto on opening night, ACK! That was crazy, never again. You think Trekkies are scary? Nuh uh!

Anyhow, the movie was pretty good, even tho it was cut down from a 700+ page book to less than 150 page script. The superfluous stuff was cut out, like Hermione trying to free the house elves. I missed Dobby, but really can live without SPEW. The Tri-Wizard tournament was the focus, and was done very well. All except the too long Harry vs. the dragon chase scene. Reminiscent of the Harry vs. Draco chase scene in movie #2…or was it #3? But all in all it was done well enough that I figure I’ll see it again a couple of times before its released on dvd. I wonder tho, how quickly will they start shooting #5? Those kids are getting almost too old to play those roles now, they’d better start thinking about doing these back to back, a la Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean #2 & 3. PoTC 2 release date is July 7 by the way. J

We also saw Derailed with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston last week. Not bad, tho I’d figured it out long before it was actually revealed. It wasn’t a total waste of money. Which is saying something, considering a lot of the drek that is out there.

Well, its about bedtime. To those reading in the US, have a great thanksgiving holiday. Everybody else, good day eh!
 
Comments:
What a great day to have off!! (It's my birthday!) Ok....a shameless plug at attention!! :oÞ

Hope you had a great day.

Marlene
 
I'm so happy you got some time off.
I'll bet Bruno and George were ecstatic to have you home.
Chrissy and I went to see the Potter movie too. It had to be the Sunday matinee. We were supposed to go opening night but Jame's work truck broke down. Because we were in the midst of an Alberta Clipper the tow truck didn't arrive until after 8. J got home around 10. Too late to catch the 10:30. Not being a huge Harry fan I didn't miss what wasn't there. I thought the movie was the best one yet, probably because it's more "grown up".
We did find a new Irish pub. It just opened in the AMC Centre. We'll be going back to Fitzpatrick's for sure. :D

Happy belated birthday Marlene. Hope it was grand.

Hug the pups for me, please Beck. I love them even if they do smell. ;)
 
Mnay Happy Returns Marlene, I do hope you managed to enjoy yourself for your birthday! :-)

Mummy, you're cruel! Talking about pubs and there's not one here in the entire state! *pout* I'm going to have to win the lottery (whenever they finally get around to implementing it!) and open me up a proper pup. Or a Firken chain of 'em! ;-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]