What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Monday, January 23, 2006
  Allergies and Outlaws
This afternoon I went to the drug store to get myself some night-time antihistamines. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night, so stuffed up I couldn’t breathe. My allergies have been so bad since I moved here I should buy stock in Tylenol and whoever it is that makes Puffs tissues. Claritin used to do the trick back home, but not anymore, so I’ve been using antihistmines with decongestants included, non-drowsy for day time use, and night-time so that I can sleep. As of now, I have to get the purchase card off the hook, take it to the pharmacist counter, show ID and sign the book whenever I buy these things because the meth labs have made pseudoephedrine an outlaw drug. Hmph! All I want to do is be able to breathe, and to do that, I have to show ID and sign a book! There’s less hassle to buy ammunition in Canada for pity’s sake!

It could be worse, I could be living in a state that has taken pseudoephedrine out of the market entirely. I should check to see if Wisconsin is one of those states, I may need to stock up somehow…or find something else that works, which up til now, I’ve been unable to do. *sigh* It is entirely possible though that my allergies won’t be so bad up there, its only since I moved here to Morganton that I haven’t been able to breathe. My usual seasonal allergies last all year long here, and are a hundred times worse. Plus I blow my nose so often that its raw, inside and out. Although the Puffs with lotion isn’t as hard on my nose as tissues without lotion (I keep wanting to say “potion” because of that old commercial for Puffs!), its still raw and it hurts.

Oh well, lets hope that whatever I’m so terribly allergic to here in Morganton doesn’t live in Wisconsin and that after we move I’ll get some relief. I’m doomed if it’s the dogs though, because no way will I get rid of them. I’ll suffer the stuffy nose if it’s the dogs.

Well, I bought a wallpaper steamer today too, and it should be about warmed up enough to go strip some wallpaper. I could have saved some money and bought the chemical strippers, but all the labels had a warning on them for people who suffer breathing problems and allergies, so I figured the $40 for the steamer is worth it. Plus, I don’t want to poison the dogs with chemical strippers. In the long run its better for all of us to just spend the money, rather than polluting the air and environment. Later I’ll also need a paint stripper, but that’s another day.

Back to work!
 
Comments:
Yikes! I live on Sudafed...a woman's best friend! Can't you buy Sudafed in Morganton?

>:-<

:-OOOOO

Cara
 
Any decongestant product that contains pseudoephridrine has been put behind the counter as of January 1. This is North Carolina state law, not just Morganton, because illegal meth labs were using pseudoephedrine as an ingredient in their methamphetamines.

Some states have removed pseudoephedrine frome stores entirely, making it illegal to sell any products containing it.

Some pharma companies are re-formulating their off the shelf cold and allergy medicines, but I haven't tried the new decongestants yet, they're still fairly new, and not available everywhere yet I think.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]