What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
  r'uh r'oh Raggy!
Well, the dang Tories went and won the Canadian election. Although, it’s a slim minority, we’ll see what they do with it I guess. If they fuck it up, the Liberals and/or NDP will have to see about picking up the pieces. Usually minority governments have to call elections about half way thru a normal 4 year term. I am beginning to wonder if Canada might benefit by setting a fixed election date like the US has. But then, it wouldn’t be Canada would it, just able to call an election whenever the going gets tough? At least its not as bad as Italy! ;-)

*sigh* I just hope they don’t do anything drastic…but then with a minority government, how could they? I was surprised to see how much of a toe-hold the Conservatives got in Quebec. I’m not at all surprised that the Liberals held on to the GTA tho. Toronto is Liberal to the core, and probably always will be. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Canada needed a change, there’s no doubt about that, I’m just not convinced however that the Reform/Alliance/Conservatives are the answer. Time will tell.

+++++++++++++

I managed to get a few strips of wallpaper off the bathroom wall yesterday. It gets hot in that tiny little room tho with all the steam, I can’t stay in there too long. Plus I get all sticky from the paste, and its all over my sweatpants I was wearing because I have to wipe the scraper on something, and the only thing I had handy was my leg. Hopefully I can get that finished and then go get some primer and paint. I’m debating whether to paint the kitchen as well, but its got mobile home panel on the walls, not proper wallboard/drywall, so I’d need some heavy duty primer to cover the god-awful pattern. I don’t think the paper can be stripped from that paneling or not. But its just really ugly and the house would probably sell better if I can get rid of it. So much work! Bleah.

James passed his first interview yesterday, and they set him up to go to Chicago for training on February 8 & 9th. For some reason he’s worried he won’t pass the training class because he hasn’t been in school for so long. I keep trying to tell him he’ll be fine, its not like school, and he knows all he needs to know, there’s nothing to worry about. But he’s still worried. My powers of persuasion are lacking I suppose. We just worry about different things, and I think he’s being silly to worry about having to take a training class. He knows his stuff, he’s worked for Domino’s long enough he could probably recite it in his sleep. Why doesn’t he worry about important stuff, like how the hell are we going to move all this junk to Wisconsin, and how the heck am I going to be able to drive all the way there on my own, with the two dogs in my truck? James will probably be driving the rental moving van, and towing his pick-up. Which means I have to drive thru the mountains, such as they are, between here and Virginia, and I don’t do well driving in the mountains. After that it’ll probably be all flat, or flatter anyway. Then we’ll hit winter, and hopefully some snow. But not too much I hope, my nerves will be shot by then. :-p

We haven’t had any winter here in Morganton yet. Its again up over 15C today already, and not even 11am. The sun is shining, and I’m quite certain that winter will never get here. I know a lot of places are experiencing the winter that never was, but its rather annoying. I miss the snow. Not so much the cold I miss, just the snow. Last winter we had only 1 inch of snow here, so far this winter, nothing. Except that ice storm a couple of weeks before Christmas. And some people say there’s no such thing as global warming. Hmph :-p

Well, I should get back to peeling wallpaper. Catch ya later.
 
Comments:
Check out The Star today:
www.thestar.ca

Harper to U.S.: Keep out of Canada's Arctic

Jan. 26, 2006. 05:34 PM
CANADIAN PRESS


OTTAWA — Stephen Harper moved quickly today to dispel the notion he’ll be too cozy with the United States by using his first news conference as prime minister-designate to warn the Americans to stay out of Canada’s Arctic affairs. ....

hmmm

interesting!
Cara
 
Hiya Reba! Long lost tigrrrl here. Layne told me about your weblog. I'm glad you're making it okay in the South -- I miss it sometimes, but I also love Canada. I was in Virigina for xmas, probably not too far from you guys.

Much love for you and James! Take care.
 
Cara, I wonder if Harper is just making noises to the US to throw us off and make us think he's a nice guy? :-p He can't fool me!

Becky! thanks for stopping by, Bombie was talking about you just a couple of weeks ago, wondering what you're up to and I hadn't a clue its been so long since I heard from you!

We won't be in the south for long, but when we move, we'll still be further south than you. ;-) This move to Wisconsin seems more and more likely every day. I just hope there's still snow by the time we get there!

Drop me a line sometime eh?
 
The mumma isn't happy about the election outcome. Jim Flaherty, former MPP is now the Conservative
MP in my riding. Can't afford to move, so I'll just wait for the next election.

Reba, how about I take my vacation when you are actually moving? Then I could drive through the mountains. That year in BC I learned how to take the hilly bits. You could close your eyes and hang on, same as when I took the Sea to Sky up to Whistler with you.

Please notice I volunteered to drive. No painting, papering or packing included. My own place is in need of all that. I should get started again. Unfortunately, redoing the kitchen ate up 70% of my house allowance. Having to buy a car ate up 150% of what I had set aside for the rest.

I have lived here a year and just realized that nothing except grocery stores is open before 10:00 am. I walked over to Brock with the intention of finally getting my Fellowship Prelude poster and one I bought from Watkins framed. Left here just after 9:00. Framing place still locked up tight. No big! Turned around and walked up Brock to the Health Food store. Locked up tight.
Walked home past the Kids Place store. Thought I would wander through, see what they have. Amelia's birthday is looming. Locked up tight. Turns out it was all maybe a good thing. Signed in to my bank to pay some bills. The account should have been locked up tight a week ago. Good thing I have Overdraft Protection and the money you sent. That'll keep me in lunch money 'til payday.

See you soon
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]