What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Saturday, January 21, 2006
  Stuff
Well, we survived the funeral service, and now its on with life.

It was a beautiful day, unusually warm and sunny for January, even in the south. Quite a lot of people showed up, considering it was a weekday. But most had to get back to work, so not many joined us at the house afterward. Only half a dozen or so, which to me is strange; I’m used to the after funeral gatherings to be large and boisterous, with mass quantities of beer consumed. Must be a Canadian thing…or it could just be my family, who knows?

Now all that needs to be done is clean out her house and settle the estate. Which I get the feeling, will be like pulling abscessed teeth from a rabid lion. *sigh*

James has his interview with the Domino’s guy on Monday. He got a huge package of paperwork in the mail yesterday, which he has to present. I’ve been trying to get his credit reports from on-line, but of course the printer decided, quite literally in the middle of a page, that it didn’t want to talk to the PC anymore, so I had to reboot. I managed to retrieve only one of the 3 reports, and for some stupid reason, the website doesn’t have a technical support contact. How freakin’ stupid is that? GAH! Have you ever seen the movie “Office Space”? I have quite often fantasized about taking this printer, any printer really; I’ve never had a good relationship with any! Out to a field somewhere and just beat the toner out of it with a baseball bat! I think I would feel so much better if I could do that. :-p

So I have to try and tidy up this house. NO small feat I must say. Its so cluttered and we have so much crap, we may have to rent another storage garage in the meantime. We already have one garage rented to store all the stuff that was cleaned out of James’ parents house when his father died last spring. Plus all the stuff that we just don’t have space for, that he refuses to get rid of. Of course there will be even more stuff we don’t need but he’ll want to keep when we are finally able to clear out his mother’s house. I’m not even sure there’s room in the storage garage for a few boxes of things we need to put away in order to sell our house. Some of our collections of shall we say…occult material…that may scare off potential buyers. ;-)

I think I’ll go thru the cupboards and boxes in the basement, and boxes in the storage garage to see what if anything we can sell. We “inherited” quite a lot of crap from the previous owner of this house. Y’see the previous owner died, she was an older lady, whose family took their own sweet time to clean out the house after her death. When my father-in-law bought the house for us, the family could never seem to find the time to clear out her stuff, so James said just leave it. The cupboards were full of dishes, and plastic storage containers and stuff. Then he moved in with his dishes and plastic storage containers and stuff, and then I moved in with my dishes and plastic storage containers and stuff, and well, we just have way too much crap! Most of it will never be used. Like the serving dish set that got left behind. Its nice enough, with a couple of meat platters, a soup turine, gravy boat, salt and pepper shakers etc…but we never entertain. I wouldn’t exactly say James is anti-social, but its not bloody likely those items will ever get used during his lifetime. Might as well sell them and make some room in the cupboard right? Plus there were 2 sets of tea cups and lunch plates, a full box of plastic storage containers, and a bunch of other stuff that we will never use, and yet he won’t let me get rid of. Maybe once he sees how much it will cost to move it all, he’ll let me sell it. I wonder how much it would cost to get a table at the flea market, and if I need a vendor’s license? Hmmmmmm…

We don’t plan to stay here in Morganton, even if the Domino’s deal falls thru for any reason. There really is not much opportunity here in this or the surrounding counties, there’s not really much of anything to DO, and the only reason he moved here was to be near his parents while they were both sick. They’re both gone now, so we don’t really need to stay. There’s just lots to get done before we can go. Most of which of course we need money to do, and we don’t have money to do it. Like basic “brightening up” renovations to the house, clean up the yard with some mulch etc etc etc…

I guess I should get at it then eh?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]