What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Saturday, February 11, 2006
  Adventures in Home Beautification
--or—When Virgos Get Bored!

So, I decided I might as well start on redecorating the bedroom, first by removing the old rotten paneling. And I don’t use the word “rotten” for nothing! It not only looks horrible, but it actually does seem to be rotting :-p I think I’m in for quite a lot more than I bargained for here.

Before I show you how terrible a mess the bedroom is, I’ll show you the almost finished product that is the redecorated bathroom I did a couple weeks ago.

I didn’t take any “before” pictures because I forgot, but trust me, it looks a heckuva lot better now than it did before!

Here’s looking at the connecting door to the bedroom which we never use and I was going to take the door and frame out and put up dry-wall but didn’t feel like doing that much work! I will also be replacing that terrible mirror that for now is just resting on the sink.

Image hosting by Photobucket

And here is standing in the same spot but turned toward the opposite wall where there is the “linen cupboard”, which is really just a box with doors on it that towels and linens don’t really even fit in :-p

Image hosting by Photobucket

The bathroom is really very small and narrow, I can touch both walls if I stand in the middle and stretch out my arms elbows still bent. And I’m only 5ft 4in! That’s how narrow it is!

Anyhow, here’s the bedroom before pictures so you can see how ugly it is and why it needs updating before we list the house to sell it.

This one is the wall behind the bed, and then the ceiling over the bed. For some odd reason they put really really bad wallpaper on the ceiling, and when I tried to strip it I discovered it doesn’t want to come off. We may put tiles of some sort over it.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Here’s the opposite wall as we see it when we’re in bed.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The closet door is mashed right up against the side wall, with the trim somehow even buried under the panel and drywall there.

Here’s the side wall, where we have my Lord of the Rings collection sitting on the gun rack! *snarf* You can also see more of the ugly ceiling.

Image hosting by Photobucket

So, when I removed the paneling that was behind the bed, I figured out why they decided to put the paneling up in the first place. They’re lazy. And there’s a big freakin’ hole in the wall! GAH!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Here’s a view down the hole, into the basement. I guess they were either installing the plumbing, or repairing it. But sheesh, they couldda fixed the hole in the wall!

Image hosting by Photobucket

This next one is to illustrate why amatures should not do drywalling. The entire room so far is just piecemeal, I don’t think there’s a whole sheet of drywall anywhere, its all scraps!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Having not planned ahead for gaping holes in the wall, I don’t have any sheets of drywall here to patch or replace it, so for now I’ve just duct-taped a strip of panel over the hole until I can get some money from James and head over to Lowe’s. I may have to tear down all this crap and put up new dry wall throughout the entire room, not just the broken wall. Its that much of a mess. :-p

Image hosting by Photobucket

First I’ll see how bad the rest of it is, I haven’t got all the paneling off yet, there’s 30 or 40 years worth of dust between the panel and the baseboards, and its all going up my nose. I think I’ll just go have a bath, and finish it tomorrow.
 
Comments:
You gotta wonder whether there are snakes down that hole! That hole scares me, but then again, so does Greg's attic. He has literally a "trap door" leading to the attic, complete with a set of stairs. I have not ventured up there as yet...

:-)
Cara
 
Nope, no snakes. it leads directly down to the basement crawl space where we've got a bunch of stuff stored.

Which reminds me, I should check the camping gear for water damage...the toilet overflowed yesterday and all the water ran down to the basement!

We don't even know where the entrance to our attick is. The previous owners covered it up >:-|
 
My first guess is you'll find the attic access somewhere under the ugly ceiling paper.
You may not want to find the way in tho.It's probably full of the stuff that didn't fit in the basement. ;) Or bats.

The bathroom looks a gazillion times better than the last time I saw it. OK, maybe not a gazillion. But it does look good.

How was the basement?
 
My goodness woman, you're brave, sticking your neck down that hole in the wall. I'm too much of a chickenmsh*t and woulda closed that bad boy right back up! *lol*

Bravo though that you're tackeling all this and doing a great job!

Good luck with the continued renovations.

Auds
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]