What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Sunday, February 19, 2006
  Reading Labels
Since I moved to the US, I’ve started reading food labels more often. Even before I moved here, I noticed a lot of differences in the American versions of foods that we have also in Canada. Like pop (soda) for instance. I’m a Pepsi person, but I have considerably cut down on my pop consumption here because its so much sweeter that at home. Also chocolate. I’m a self confessed choco-holic, but I really don’t prefer the mass produced American chocolate bars like Hershey’s etc. The Canadian versions are better. They’re less sweet, and there’s more chocolate in them. Even store bought breads here like Wonder or Sara Lee are considerably sweeter and have different textures than back home. I’ve also heard from more than one new immigrant that they’ve gained quite a bit of weight in their first year here than would be considered normal considering their normal consumption of quantities and food types hasn’t changed much. I think I’ve figured it out. High Fructose Corn Syrup. Its nasty stuff.

I have been on a quest for nearly 2 years now to find products in regular grocery stores that Do Not contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. I’m tellin’ ya, it ain’t easy! Nearly everything here has HFCS in it. From breakfast cereals to yoghurt, to condiments like ketchup and steak sauce, they all have HFCS in them. And it makes them sweeter and taste a whole lot different than the Canadian versions I’m used to and still prefer. Same brand names, same labels, different sweetening ingredients.

The first thing we did was stop buying bread at the grocery store. James bought me a bread maker and I make my own, usually 2 loaves each week. This cuts down quite a lot of the amount of HFCS we eat right there. That was easy. Not so for everything else though. The Dairy Producers started their commercials saying that consuming 3 servings of dairy every day will help you lose weight. So, I started eating yoghurt every day, and bought the same brand that I used to eat back home. And I gained weight! Why? HFCS that’s why! I switched brands, after checking every single label of every single yoghurt brand in the store!

I bought some Rice Krispies one day. Got home, poured myself a bowl, and guess what? Its sweetened with HFCS as well! GAH! I wouldn’t even have thought of it, so now I read pretty much every label of everything I buy, trying to find stuff without HFCS in it. I had even been ordering products from Canadian Favourites, or having my Mum bring stuff with her when she visits, just so I can stay away from HFCS. I finally found some ketchup here without it. Heinz organic ketchup. Made in Canada strangely enough, and there’s no HFCS in it. It costs a bit more, but trust me, its worth it!

James and I had a bit of a disagreement this morning on the cause of diabetes. Obesity rates are climbing every year here in the US, and everyone knows that obesity is a large contributing factor to diabetes. Initial recent studies on HFCS shows that this one sweetener could be a large contributing factor into obesity rates. Why? Because unlike regular sugars, it does not block the craving receptors that tell us we’re full, and the liver processes it differently than other sugars. It turns to fat. We eat more when we have a diet containing high levels of HFCS, because we cravemore. Ergo, HFCS could very well be a contributing factor to the growing rates of obesity, and diabetes, in the United States. And yes, I have articles to back me up :-p Check these out:

The Murky World Of High Fructose Corn Syrup

The Double Danger of High Fructose Corn Syrup

Sugar coated We're drowning in high fructose corn syrup. Do the risks go beyond our waistline?

Wikipedia

Sweet But Not So Innocent

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Obesity

ok, just to balance it out a bit The Facts About HFCS

I once emailed Heinz Foods to ask them why the difference in the Canadian version vs. the US version. Their response was “customer demand”. So then I asked a bunch of Americans if they asked Heinz Foods to make their ketchup sweeter with HFCS, and none of them could recall doing so. Really, what the “demand” was was to be able to make it cheaper, and HFCS is less expensive to produce than other sugars. Whether or not Heinz and other producers have passed on this savings to their customers I don’t know. I think the price of ketchup in Canada is comparable to the US, and the Canadian version does not have HFCS in it. I demand a ketchup without HFCS in it, so now I buy the more expensive one anyway. Go figure.

I’m not criticizing America, or Americans. I am criticizing American food producers, who, to save a few pennies, have put their customers at risk by giving them an unsafe product. I’m sure that if we all start reading labels more often, and if we stop using all these products with HFCS in them, food producers will have to think of something else to use. If we all start demanding healthier options to foods that in all likelihood we didn’t even know were all that bad for us, food producers will eventually have to answer those demands. After all, apparently there was a “demand” for ketchup sweetened with HFCS, if we all demand that they take it out again, logically they’d have to comply non?

Its not easy to find alternative products, but it is possible. I’ve checked the labels of Watkins products and haven’t yet found one that contains HFCS (or even MSG, but that’s another post altogether!). If you’re looking in your grocery stores, check the “organic” aisle. HFCS is NOT organic, so none of those products would have it. It may cost more initially, but in the long run, it could save you a lot of medical bills. Couldn’t hurt anyway.
 
Comments:
HFCS is indeed in everything and it's one of the things I am really sensitive to especially after living over in the UK for so long and NOT having it in EVERYTHING and then coming back here and it being in just about everything.

I JUST found the Heinz organic Ketchup and I love it, I don't care how much more it costs. And on the rare occasions (well I don't drink it anymore due to breastfeeding Gidget) when I had Coke whilst pregnant, it was Canadian coke as there is no HFCS in it. And it just tastes better!

You just don't realize how pervasive it is until you live somewhere else (like Canada or with us, the UK) and live without it and come back here and everything is just saturated with it.

Frankly, the bread here in the states is disgusting! I eat as little of it as possible. Luckily Gareth found a fresh bakery in Grand Central Station in NY that he hits on his way home from work that makes fresh bread with no HFCS or other sweetners. He hasn't had much luck with other stuff.

And no, I still haven't used that whacking-great breadmaker I bought last year. I know, I know......

And Yes, I agree with you, and the many studies that link HFCS to obesity.
 
I can tell you one thing!! Everyone in my household (including the U.S. hubby) LOVES the Canadian Heinz Ketchup! We all did the "blind taste test" and all unanimously chose the Canadian version. It's more tomatoey tasting, and therefore, "fresher" tasting, IMHO.

Blecch - U.S. Heinz Ketchup. Gross.
 
Yes, labels are the best thing to arrive on Canadian grocery shelves. Great to know how much of one's food sources is "chemical" based, rather, than, er, food based.

In Asheville, I believe there is a Whole Foods Market and an Earthfare Store. Load up on Annie's ketchup. It's organic, to the best of my knowledge and it tastes great...real food ingredients and no insulin-rising filler!

Cara
 
meh...I'll stick with the Heinz Organic for now, its good, and they can't call it organic if it isn't organic. Considering the extra cost of buying organic foods, plus the extra cost of gas to get up to Asheville, I'll buy what I can locally. It takes about half a tank of gas to get up to Asheville and back, so one bottle of ketchup would cost me about $15 :-p

I wish I could get Canadian pop down here tho. Maybe once we move to Wisconsin it'll be easier. At least we'll be closer to the border anyhow.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]