What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Sunday, April 16, 2006
  Springtime and the weather is HOT!
The past couple of days its been well over 30C/86F already, and I think the guy on the news said this is record breaking temperatures for Easter weekend. I had planned to do some work in the garden but its been too stinkin’ ‘ot! Plus we haven’t had any rain for a couple of weeks (I think since the day before we left for Wisconsin) and the ground is too hard to break. Again. Same thing happened to me last Spring when I wanted to dig up the front garden. Oh well. Maybe the temps will go down next week and I can get started.

This is one thing I don’t particularly like about living here. Summer lasts too bleedin’ long. I don’t like Summer to begin with. In Toronto its too hot (try getting people here to believe that!) and its too humid. Here’s is a bit less humid, (also difficult to get people to believe) but its too hot for far longer. Like March to December. :-p We’ve already got the air conditioner in, and the dogs don’t like to go outside now. Unfortunately they have to go out when I go to work :-( but at least I only work evenings, so it’s a little bit cooler and shady.

Holiday weekends here are different than home. For one thing, most people don’t actually get a day off for holidays. Mostly only government and bank workers, everything else is still open. The pizza shop was totally dead last night, and not much better the night before. Tonight will probably be even worse. I don’t like being bored, there’s nowhere to sit down! ;-)

I found Jesus yesterday. He was pacing up and down the street. But then I lost him again. He must have gone to a different corner. I was on my way to K-Mart to try and find some shorts I can wear to work and there he was. Standing at the intersection, wearing a long tunic made from a bed sheet, with red paint splashed on the back and front, some sort of crown made of sticks, and red paint all down the front of his face. He was carrying a cross made from 2x4s. I saw his pick-up parked on the side of the road; the back window said “I ride with Jesus”. But if he *is* Jesus, who is driving?

James says this guy usually sets up on a corner in Lenoir (a town about 15 miles north of here), and he is a recovering crack addict. He (the Jesus guy) says Jesus came to him one night when he was all strung out, and Jesus told him to get off the crack. So he did (good for him) and then he hammered some wood together and made himself a bed sheet tunic and stands on street corners to freak out the masses. At least he’s off the crack.

We have a similar lady in Toronto, only she’s wearing a bed sheet toga, and she stands on a bridge over the Don Valley Parkway holding an Israeli flag, and one hand up with fingers in a Peace sign. We call her Lady Liberty, because she also has a crown on, kinda like the Statue of Liberty, only hers is made of aluminum foil. At one point she was ordered by the courts to stop doing that and take her meds (she’s schizophrenic or something) because it wreaks havoc with traffic. Sometimes she forgets her meds and goes back out there tho. No idea if she’s Jewish or what, sometimes the flag is something else. I think she uses the Israeli flag just because its white and blue and goes with her toga.

*shrug*

So here it is Easter and I have no chocolate bunny to eat. Oh well, I’m trying to loose some fat anyway. But then again…I saw a tabloid magazine cover yesterday that said “I lost weight by eating nothing but chocolate!” heheh, I want to try THAT diet! ;-)

Our trip to Scotland is just about all taken care of. Our flight is booked (Thursday 5th May, connect in Newark), hotel in Edinburgh is booked (7th to 12th) and a 3 day Edinburgh pass is purchased. The only thing left to do is find out from Chris which hotel he’s booked for us in Kelso, and then go shopping for fancy clothes. I hate clothes shopping down here. I’ve been reduced to tears so many times since I moved here its pathetic. I don’t like the “fashions” and can never figure out what freakin’ size I wear. Its different with every single design make I try on. Rather annoying really. :-p Plus James needs to get a suit. And I’m trying to decide should I get 3 outfits, one for rehearsal night, one for wedding ceremony and early reception, then another for supper reception? The ceremony is at 11am, then followed by a lunch/brunch reception, then another reception in the evening for supper. Or should I just get a shawl or jacket for evening? Decisions decisions…My main concern being of course traveling with formal clothes that may need to be ironed after sitting in suitcase for a day. I hate ironing.

Ah well…I know this is a few days late, but here’s my tulips. I actually took the pictures a few days ago, so now the tulips are dying and look nothing like these pics.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]