What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
  Job hunting
Well, I had a “job interview” this afternoon in Hickory.

On Sunday, after having quit Domino’s promising never to return on Saturday, I updated my resume on Carreerbuilders.com and went job hunting. Monday morning I got a phone call for an interview, I had not applied for the job, but they saw my resume and thought I’d be a good candidate. Silly me didn’t think to ask them what the job was, I’m just that desperate. :-p

So, I get there this afternoon and it turns out its insurance sales. I’ve been getting A LOT of responses from insurance companies. Yes, I have sales experience, and took Sales & Marketing in college night school classes. Which is why I know I’m not particularly suited to doing “outside” sales. Nor do I have any ambition to drive all over hell and gone all day every day. I’ve removed most all mention of the word “sales” from my posted resume.

I’m sure insurance sales is an admirable job, its just not for me. The interviewer seemed rather put out when I said sales is not for me, and he said “is it the word “insurance” that’s stopping you?” I replied “no, it’s the word “sales” that’s stopping me”. He thanked me for coming in and pointed to the door. *snarf*

Now, had I known when she called me for the interview that it was outside sales I’d have said no thank you, not interested. But she didn’t, the word sales never exited her mouth. And a search on Careerbuilder and Google for the company name came up blank. I think its rather shallow and stinky to misrepresent an opportunity in such a way. I wonder how many people actually fill out the application form and say “Oh Yay! Goodie! Insurance Sales!” Next time I will definitely ask exactly what the interview is for.

Retail sales I could do easily. There’s a big difference in going knocking on someone’s door to say “hey, ya wanna buy some insurance?” to someone walking into a store actually looking for something specific, like a TV or pair of trousers.

Honestly, I’d rather have some comfy office job where I can sit at a desk and type or do filing or something. Mindless perhaps, but potentially less stressful. I’d like steady hours with a steady paycheque, if that’s at all possible. Is that too much to ask? :-p

I did apply for a few other jobs, none of which are outside sales. I haven’t heard back from any yet though. *sigh*

In other news today, while I was out driving to my interview, I passed by a movie theatre in Hickory that has now closed. I called James and told him to see if he can find out about buying it. He used to own a small theatre in Lenoir a few years back, and has said he’d enjoy doing that again. We don’t know why the theatre closed, or how much it would cost to buy it, but its worth looking into.

Not much else going on around here. Its still hot out, and I’m still broke. And the dogs are getting stinky again. ;-)
 
Comments:
You come by that particular aversion from your maternal side.
Many years ago, dinosaurs still roamed, I took an apptitude test at an Employment Agency. For three weeks all I got were calls for outside sales. One insurance company was quite put out with my non-interest. They must have put it in my permanent file because the same Insce company just declined to invest any more $$ in my Physiotherapy. SAy I've reached the maximum for the year. It's not even $600.00 yet.
Yep, an office job would be good. It's nice to know when you get up in the morning where you're going and what you're going to do, even if it's pushing a pen, or more likely, punching computer keys. ;). Much less stressful sales of any kind. I have been eyeing those $$$ gauranteed telephone sales jobs in the paper. I like $$$. My bank manager likes me to send $$$ regularly.

Your mum is seriously contemplating the aquisition of a cat. Or two. There's a notice up at The Helping Hands Day Care for a Feline Rescue Misssion. They have lots of cats to find homes for. I have a home. My biggest worry is the smell. Do I really want to be cleaning kitty litter every day? Never been high on my list of favourite things to do. In fact, it's way down lower than smacking my head on the baathroom window. But winter is coming and I get cold feet. Still dithering apparently.

If James finds the the movie house is an affordable business investment would you work at the candy counter or be the usher?

Give him my love, scritch the grand pups and give yourself a hug from the mum.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]