What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Friday, July 21, 2006
  Keeping Up
Well, just to keep up with what’s going on around here…

Yes, I’ve seen Pirates of the Caribbean – Dead Man’s Chest. Three times actually. Twice in Canada while I was up there visiting, and once since I got back here. I could have seen it again yesterday, but James didn’t want to. :-p

I wish I could buy a tall ship and sail off into the horizon.

We took the dogs to Pet Smart for a bath yesterday. They’re all shiny and distinkified. They were totally exhausted when we picked them up. Which is nice, they don’t run around the house so much when they’re sleeping. ;-) They were there for 5 hours, and they didn’t tell us about them mis-behaving so I will have to assume they didn’t attack any little dogs! George is actually white, not orange! Whodda thunk it? I’d upload pics, but I forget where I put the camera USB cable.

I’m trying to find a new job. It looks as tho we’ll be staying here for quite a while now despite things, and I just can’t stand working for Kenny at Domino’s anymore. When James hired me there in February, he trained me to be a shift runner (equiv. of Assistant Manager basically), and I was working about 30 hours a week. To no detriment of any other employees I might add! Since James quit and Kenny took over as GM, my hours are cut down to about 12 per week, and I’m mostly in there as a “phone girl” (CSR). Occasionally he asks me to run a shift, but mostly only when he gets bored and doesn’t feel like working himself :-p. A few weeks ago the other shift runner Brittney quit and went to work at another of the franchise stores, so rather than move me up to her full-time position, Kenny moved up one of the UN-TRAINED CSRs who had been hired After Me! And who takes 5 minutes to take an order, and makes more mistakes than is cost effective, and not once since she started as shift runner have I ever gone in for second shift and seen everything been done that’s supposed to be done. If you follow. I usually end up washing HER dishes, and prepping things that should have been prepped hours ago. She’s even left food sitting out on shelves and such because she “didn’t put it there, don’t know who’s it is”. I should call the health department :-p

So, the other day apparently Kenny got wind that one of his driver’s wasn’t going to show up for shift. He had a shift runner scheduled who used to be a driver, plus me as CSR, who is trained as a shift runner. He could have had me run the shift and the former driver/shift runner do deliveries. Rather than do that, he called in a FREAKIN DRIVER with aspirations to be shift runner, who WASN’T EVEN ON THE SCHEDULE, it was his day off. So here’s the dickhead driver with aspirations complaining about being called in on his day off, who gets about 60 freakin’ hours per week, who’s girlfriend it was who got MY freakin’ job who also is well into over-time hours every week, and HE’S complaining! I barely make enough money these days to buy groceries and put gas in my car for pete’s sake! I was so angry and frustrated it was all I could do to hold it together until I got home. In tears I might add.

How do these dickheads justify having 2 ass kissing employees work OVERTIME, when there are others who can’t even eat on a regular basis? This is the state of things here. Its VERY difficult to adjust and find anything to like about here when I keep getting abused by employers like this. 3 jobs in just over a year and every single one of them has been pretty much like this. The labour laws here in NC are geared toward the employer, rather than the employee. At least the state is considering raising the minimum wage by $1, but that’s not going to help me any. Unless the only other job I can find around here is minimum wage. :-p I’ve complained to the franchise owner about things going on at the store, and he doesn’t seem to care so much. He just shakes his head and says something stupid like “yeah, that’s never been one of Kenny’s strong points”. Ugh. If even the owner doesn’t care, why the hell should I? I give up. I just have to find another job first.

Which means I probably won’t be able to get back home anytime soon. Employers don’t dole out vacation time very easily around here, and I won’t be eligible for time off for a few months at least. I guess depending on the employer, but as previously mentioned, labour laws here are not what they are back home. And vacation time is an exception rather than a rule. There goes the plan to see Wicked in the Fall. *sigh*

James is trying to figure out how we can make a living without actually having to work, but of course he’s having a heckuva time with that! ;-) With some of his investments he can be paid a monthly dividend, and there is a monthly income (once settled that is) from one of his inherited properties, but all of that won’t be enough to live on. Even without a mortgage payment. So, I still need a job :-p Damned if I do, damned if I don’t yanno?

And then of course there’s World War III brewing. I guess we’re lucky enough to be too old for the draft, if the unlikely event were to occur. I doubt it tho. Bush would be lynched if he called a draft.

Can you believe the stupid driver with aspirations doesn’t even know what the word “lynched” means? And he’s a southerner!

My brains are boiled. Its hot here, and the A/C hasn’t been working in the store for a few weeks now. It gets up over 90F/32C most days, which is really too hot. And if I’m working at the oven, its even worse. The oven temp is about 498F/258C. I go into the walk-in refrigerator to cool off. The temp in there is about 32F/0C, I stay there til I start to shiver ;-)

Could be worse I suppose. *sigh*
 
Comments:
Good Lord, who ever would have thought that the folks who run Dominos are such f*wits...especially when they've got someone like YOU, right there, willing and able and qualified, and yet the GM seems to have no clue. I'm sorry he's such a lug!

Glad you're back though....even if it is hotter than hell out there.

If'n ya ever wanna escape the heat or come see the fall foliage and indulge in some lobster, you're more than welcome to come on up for a visit. We've got loads of spare space and would love the company! :-)
 
So, the gist of it ...
The good news is, your dogs don't smell. The bad news is, your boss does.

It's finally cooled down here some, but there were times this week I wished I had a coooler to crawl into. Of course, now I have to all the chores I was putting off because it was too hot; laundry, vacuuming, laundry, dusting,dishes. And more laundry. Where does it all come from?
 
I would love to visit the north east Auds, its pretty up there. I guess it would all depend on if I can get any more vacation time, or win the lottery ;-)

The laundry fairies leave it for ya Mum. All these years we had thought the laundry fairies come to Help us with the laundry. But noooooooo, they actually leave us more laundry to do! *snarf*
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]