What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
  Six Degrees
Have you ever played the Kevin Bacon game? If you have, you know how frustrating it can be, and if you haven’t, well, it’s a six degrees type of game. Every actor on the planet can be connected to Kevin Bacon within 6 degrees. But it also works for just everybody, not just actors. For instance…I passed Keifer Sutherland on the street one time in Toronto; we exchanged glances, Keifer worked with Kevin Bacon in a couple of movies. Ergo, I can be connected to Kevin Bacon in just 2 degrees.

Well, I’ve been thinking that this can work for just about anyone, not just Kevin Bacon. But then even if you don’t use Kevin Bacon as the central figure, you can still likely connect everyone to him within 6 degrees anyway. I’m not sure how this game started, but Wikipedia says it was invented in 1994. However, I recall it first featured in an episode of Mad About You, but I can’t remember what season it was.

…btw, I wouldn’t recommend using this as a mode of trying to tire the brain if you are suffering insomnia. It has kept me awake more than once, rather than put me to sleep!

Anyhoo…recently I’ve been getting addicted to the TV show Stargate SG-1 . It has been on for 10 seasons, and I’ve watched it now and again since I moved here because James watches it, but I did not watch it since the beginning. It started in 1997, and I was otherwise engaged with other shows I think. If you miss the first few seasons, you’re pretty much lost, however I was familiar with the premise, as I had seen the movie it spawned from and quite enjoyed it.

So, after James went and bought seasons 1 & 2 on DVD a couple of weeks ago, we sat and watched, and I was hooked. We’ve since obtained seasons 3, 4 & 5, and finished watching season 5 last night. *boo hoo sniff sniff* Now we need seasons 6 thru 9, and of course 10 is still on TV this season.

Well, I went looking on imdb.com for some background information about the show and cast, and discovered that Michael Shanks who plays Dr. Daniel Jackson on the show, was also in the TV movie Door to Door about Bill Porter, a disabled Watkins associate. (I don’t remember him in the movie, it’s a small-ish part, but of course when I watched it, I wasn’t looking for him) So, not only can we connect Michael Shanks to Kevin Bacon (via Kyra Sedgwick) BUT now I’m just 2 degrees of Michael Shanks via Watkins ;-) *snarf*

Ok ok, that’s stretching the game a little but :-p
 
Comments:
LMAO you really need to get a life/job or both but you gave me a heck of a laugh :-)
 
then my job is done. ;-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]