What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Thursday, September 14, 2006
  Yummo! as Rachel Ray would say
Last night I made the most awesome strawberry rhubarb pie Ever!

Ok so I cheated a bit and bought frozen pie shells, but I don’t have a counter to be rolling pastry out on so its allowed!

Anyhoo…I had 2 deep dish pie crusts, and 2 large stalks of rhubarb, and 2 things of strawberries (quarts? I guess). I just started cutting them up and filled up the pie shells. When there was enough cut up, I put all the fruit into a bowl, and mixed in 2 cups of sugar and ½ cup of flour and let that sit for about 15 minutes. Then in another bowl I mixed about 1 ½ cups of graham crumbs, 4 packets of plain instant oatmeal, and about ¾ cup of brown sugar and half a stick of melted butter. I mixed the melted butter in with that until there’s bits of crumbly goodness. Then put the fruit and sugar mixture into the pie shells, cover the tops with the graham crumb mixture and stick ‘em in the oven.

The oven was pre-heated at 450F, cook it for 10 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 350 for about 30 minutes (ovens will vary because some cool down faster than others). When the outer edge of the crust was nice and toasty brown, I took ‘em out. And darn it, they had to cool for quite a while before I could serve ‘em up!

But WOW was it gooooooooooooood! A bit soupy, but very very yummy. I think next time I will add in a ¼ cup of custard mix or cornstarch in place of ¼ cup of flour, to thicken it. But it was still nice as a big crumbly mess on the plate. We both had seconds, and had to fight our taste buds to say no to thirds! I put one pie in the freezer to save for later, but I’m definitely having a slice for dessert again tonight.

And Aunt Jane is stopping in tonight for the night on her way up to TO. She’ll be my un-biased taste tester ;-)

I am quite proud of myself, that was a damn good pie!
 
Comments:
Oh my, that really sounds yummy... Can you please send Aunt Jane home with a slice for Mitchell and I? ;-)
 
Sounds great... like my crumbles but with bottom crust. I think it was your Aunt Jane who made rhubarb strawberry custard pie.
Ask for the recipe. I remember it fondly. Don't you just love Rachel Ray? And to think we found her before Oprah did.
 
Yum-mee! Where did you learn to make such great pies? I didn't know about the sugar thing, nor did I know about the flour/cornstarch/thickening thing.

I love raspberries....maybe I will try something like that with raspberries...or blueberries, for that matter
:-D
Cara
 
Sorry Chuck, she won't get it across the border! But maybe I can make some when I come to visit in November. Go buy some strawberries and rhubarb now and freeze it tho! They'll be waaaaaaaaaay too expensive by then in the stores!

I got the idea for the crumbles from you Mum!

Cara, I have this wonderful cookbook called The Joy of Cooking. You should get one!

Plus, I love food, and I love to cook, so I make stuff up as I go along. Recipes are just guidelines ;-)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]