What's a Canadian doing in North Carolina?
Saturday, February 10, 2007
  An ode to my boots.
This is me, a couple of months ago when I went home for a visit, and an evening out at Savage Garden, an old watering hole o’ mine on Queen Street West, Toronto.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These are my boots. My second favourite pair of boots. Now dead.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I got these boots at the Goodwill store on Coxwell Ave. when I shared a house with Cousin Dee. When we used to go out dancing every Friday and Saturday night. When I was rich and single.

These boots were comfy, and sexy. They went with everything. Fishnet stockings. Jeans. Casual. Goth. They were my “witch” boots. Now they’re dead.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I first bought them, for all of $2.50, they were old already. I wore them a couple of times, then the sole started to separate from the upper. So I took them to the cobbler and said “fix them” he replied, “why not just buy a new pair, there’s not much sense fixing these lady”. I said “hey, I paid $2.50 for them, you can fix them for $20. A new pair will cost me well over $100. Fix them!” He fixed them.

That was probably 6 years ago. Now they’re not fixable anymore.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I wore them to Imbolc ritual last week, and noticed that the seam at the back was split, I thought “oh well, they’ve been good to me…a few more times…” then I wore them to work the other day, and noticed the leather is cracking up around the toes, and I thought “well, maybe it’s time…” and then after work I went to the recycle centre to toss in some boxes, and well…I stomped on one to flatten it…and both heels completely split away from the upper. They told me “it’s time”

So here’s to my boots. My comfy, sexy witchy boots. I will miss them. It may seem odd to some that I would lament a pair of boots I paid $22.50 for. Plus a set of laces. But it is the fun that I had in those boots, in such a few short years that I lament. A part of my life, for better or worse, that I miss. The few years of my life that I had that were Mine. Not my parents. Not some egomaniacal boyfriend. Not some other coke-head boyfriend. Mine. When I was Me.

Is that bad? Wrong? Am I the only person in the world who has ever missed “the good ol’ days” after getting married and moving to a strange country? A strange country where people who wear comfy sexy witchy boots are frowned upon.

I’ll miss my boots.

If anyone knows where I can find another pair, please let me know. Half – calf, lace ups. No zippers please. Big heel, no stilettos. Preferably under $30. ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
 
Comments:
Alas poor boots, I did not know them well. It is wise of you to let them go. When the time is right, new(er) boots will drop in to your life. Do not seek for they will find you.
 
Lookin' pretty good there, goth-girl! Nice to see you back at the dance club. I take it things are pretty much the same as always back there. :-)
 
Well, I do have my Doc Martins, and they are my favourite still. Even though they're no longer made in the UK, and you can't find the black on black anymore. They're still really comfortable for everyday.

And no, the club has changed, quite a bit actually. They shrunk the cage to about the size of a phone booth, there's a big screen TV showing Anime, and the night we went, not nearly as many people. Only one bartender that I knew from before too. Everyone's gone. *sigh*

I guess we're gettin' old.
 
Bah! Old, schmold.

I refuse to succumb to oldness. I plan to be a big kid until the day I die. :D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Well, this Canadian in particular is living with her American husband and 2 Saint Bernard dogs, and trying to get a home based business with Watkins up and running!
If you're interested in starting your own Watkins home based business, take a look at My Shopping and Information Site. Watkins ships anywhere in North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I'm a Canadian, married to an American, living in North Carolina since October 2004. To anyone who thinks this wouldn't be such a big difference in lifestyle, wow! think again!

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]